Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 1

It's 7:30PM. Apparently I made it through Day One and what a day it's been!

It started at 5:00AM when I woke a bit startled by my surroundings, which then grew into a full blown panic attack when I remembered where I was and why. I wanted more than anything to bail. First of all, it was still dark outside, secondly it was raining--hard, and thirdly, I knew a big bowl of Cherrios and 2 slices of toast with butter & strawberry jam (my breakfast of champions) was NOT in my immediate future. Anyway, I stumbled into the bathroom, figuring that would be a good place to regroup. There I was met head-on with a mirrored reflection of myself in my new PJ's. The sight was as scary as using Katie's bathroom at work. I mean who really needs to see a full body reflection of themselves taking a tinkle. Long story short, I got my mojo back!!!

The first class was 6:00AM yogalates. I was there at 5:50AM because here early is on time and on time is late. The instructor Brooke sounded like she was from Fargo (don't cha know).
For 45+ minutes, I just heard Frances McDormand's character instructing my to do what seemed impossible due to my opposing adipose tissue (aka. a big FAT belly).

During the hike, the Eagles took off running. I was not amongst them. But, nor was I a Turtle. Let's say I was a Koala (not names the folks here give, but my own interpretation).  I was the best of the Koala's. That is for the first 3.5 miles. Thanks to higher elevations and blisters, I ran out of steam, the other Koalas passed me and I found myself hiking with the lead Turtles. Those $16 frictionless socks did nothing to help. Tomorrow I plan to use duct tape on all the prone spots and use my regular socks. Yes, THEY recommended the duct tape, which is waaaaay cheaper than $16. Why didn't they just say that in the first place. All in all, we hiked 6+ miles. We were drenched from sweat and rain. Supposedly, we burned 1000 calories--give or take.

Lunch was fabulous: tortilla soup and a salad of mixed greens with pecans, blueberries and strawberry vinegarette. Hopefully, I can talk Russ into learning how to make the soup.

I rocked in Core Training--on that big exercise ball. You know the one. Plus, I held my plank twice the required time.
I was totally lame in H2O Intervals. I was the only one who managed to swim laps while remaining in the same place. I did NOT get my heart rate up by treading water with my hands on my head because I kept sinking to the bottom. I thought fat was supposed to float. I did get extra points for making a big splash. And the Blue Team was recognized for having perfect attendance. Go Blue Team!!!!!
I plan to skip H2O tomorrow and do a second Circuit or Core class.

I can't believe how much energy I still have on just 1,200 calories. I will go to bed early anyway, as recommended. We were told if you don't hurt, then you aren't doing it right. I did alot of things right because I really, really hurt. Tomorrow I have a massage scheduled. (Yes, it's extra $$. I hope he is as good as I am.)
I wish it would stop raining. THEY say it has not rained this much in Utah in the last 14 years+.
It is suppose to rain all week.
I like the red dirt.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Monica!! We missed you at the MAW Christmas party last night!! I am thinking of you and how brave you are to take this step for you!! You can do it!! Sending you lots of love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mon! I've been thinking of you since Friday when I didn't get to say goodbye to good luck. I'm sending you what little energy I have - yesterday I was so dizzy and lightheaded I was kind of afraid to drive to the lake but I did anyway and got here safely. I have appts. with the hemotologist on Monday to start on my adventure of getting well.

    I'm glad the 1200 cal you receive are tasty! I'll work on the soup for you! Keep me posted on other food items - I can be your personal chef when you get home to support your efforts. :-)

    I can't imagine the self-discipline to get up at 5:30 for class and then go hiking. There's no shame is being a turtle! Just think of the fable the Tortoise and the Hare! More soon! L

    ReplyDelete