Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 4


 The Movie: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was shot in Snow Canyon.

It stopped raining and the natives went
wild. The guides took us OFF
trail. We hiked Snow Canyon. 

One of the most famous peaks is Piano Peak--because it looks like a baby grande piano from afar. THEY say, you haven't done Fitness Ridge until you've done Piano Peak. The elevation is 4,ooo ft. It was hard to climb. Fortunately, there is a nurse practitioner in my group (She is here with her 16 yr. old son.) who told me that she could hear my wheeze and that I needed to hit my inhaler BEFORE going up any further because the air would be colder. She waited for me until I could say the word SHIT. Yes, I am serious. Apparently, if you can say all the letter sounds of the word SHIT with emphasis, then your airways are good. I never knew that!

I made it to the top of several peaks and then down--sometimes purposely sliding on my butt, other times not.  But, it all felt amazing!! And really worked my core and glutes. I will be doing the Snow Canyon hike again, as many times as possible. 

My best workout today was something called Thursday Treading. It burns a tremendous amount of calories and blasts through any weight loss plateaus. It is recommended that you do it once a week--no more, or your body will get use to it. Thursday is the day that all Biggest Loser alum tread. So, here's how you tread: using the cardio machine of your choice you workout as hard as you can (level/speed) for 5 minutes. Then, you recover for 5 minutes. After you recover, you workout giving your all for 4 minutes, then recover for 4 minutes. Repeat same cycle for 3,2,1 minutes. Of course, THEY asked that we try to raise the level or speed with each cycle. I did just that. No, I didn't puke this time, not even a little. But, many folks did. By the way, around here, giving all you've got is "just short of puking." Meaning you feel like it, but you don't.

I will be treading next Thursday--twice. You should too--at least once!

My next favorite class was Ball. I am learning just how wicked that oversized rubber exercise ball can be. Try this ASAP. While standing, rest the ball directly in front of you. Now, with your arms stretched out straight, bounce the ball as fast as you can. Simple, right? Try it. If your triceps aren't burning and your heart rate up after 1 minute, then you aren't doing it right. 

For dessert tonight, we had a cobbler that was so fabulous it will replace my Just Pies addiction as soon as I can talk Chef Cameron into giving me the recipe. 
He taught us how to make a delicious Greek Pita. Of course, mine was without feta. We also learned how to make Banana Cream Pie and Egg Nog Shake with tofu. I will post those recipes soon. My notes are still in the laundry room.

Since the sun came out and the grey is gone, everyone is feeling fabulous, determined and energized. Including me.


2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures!!! So beautiful!

    ...give me a S, give me a H, give me an I, give me a T...what's that spell?! This is your part Monica...say it loud, say it proud! That's awesome you made it to the peak. We're cheering you on here in C-bus...keep on shitting your way to the top love!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red rocks babe. Thanks for the pix. And be careful going up those steep peaks!

    ReplyDelete