Friday, December 31, 2010

Day 12

This morning THEY encouraged me to forgo the hike because of the extreme cold. I have to admit that it was a bad idea for me to go on the hike since I had already had some asthma issues going to Yogalates early this morning. But, THEY didn't know that. I guess THEY were trying to avoid a 911 situation. I was more concerned with not appearing wimpy and wanted to make up for yesterday.

No hiking meant that I had 2 hours of Cardio Blast. This time no burping acid--although, I am not completely unclogged.

I am thinking that I wasn't the only one slacking yesterday because today all of the trainers decided to work us through advanced versions of Mountain and Cardio Intervals. In Advanced Mountain class, the idea is to cut the mountain into quarters and jump 25% with each increase and spend 5 minutes there--instead of increasing a level every 3 minutes as in Basic Mountain.  In other words, I began on the elliptical at level 8 (2 levels up from last week. Go me!) Then, I jumped to level 12, then 16, then 20. At the top of the mountain, we went full speed for 5 minutes. Then backed down to 75% for 5 minutes. Then back to the top for 4 minutes. Back to 75% for 4 minutes. Then, back and forth for 3,2,1 minutes. 
It is a tough workout. I highly recommend it. You will burn major calories.

I rocked in Advanced Cardio Intervals. Then I took 2 Zumba classes. The guest instructor assumed that I had taken many classes before. LOL. Probably for the same reason that some of the housekeeping staff thought I spoke Spanish. Not the first time!!! 

In our lecture for departing guests, we discussed our RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate). This is the amount of energy (aka amount of calories) your body needs to complete the basic functions of breathing, keeping your heart beating, etc, with very little activity.  Any energy (calories) taken in above that means a potential weight gain for the day. So, a mere 500 extra calories a day will mean a one pound weight gain each week. (3,500 calories = one pound)
We also talked about how easy it is to take in 500 extra calories especially since so many of us are accustomed to eating several servings of any given item. For example,  how many servings of cereal does your favorite bowl hold? I can't wait to see how many servings of JoeO's  I actually eat in the morning.
(Of course, if you are very active, then you will have to account for that extra fuel/calories needed in order not to lose weight.)

To figure out your RMR you can go to Shapeup.org 
After you figure out your current RMR, given your sex, weight, height and age, enter the same information, but with your goal weight. That will tell you how many calories you should eat to reach/maintain that weight. In other words, if I wanted to weigh 125 lbs, as I did on my wedding day, then I need to eat like a 125 lbs girl. 

When it's all said and done, it's just a math problem. Calories In v.s Calories Out. Right?
It also seems that after a few weeks of weighing, measuring and calculating calories, it should become easier since most people eat the same 10-12 things over and over.

At least that's what I'm telling myself. I will have to get back to you on that!!!
By the way, 2 chocolate covered strawberries is 90-100 calories. Bummer huh? I could eat those my the handful. I guess that's another reason to give up Mt. Dew. At 110 calories a can, I'd rather have chocolate covered strawberries.

Until tomorrow...2 days to go!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Monica!! You are kicking ass!! I am so proud of you. How do you feel? Can't wait to hear more details once you get home.

    ReplyDelete