Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 8

I made a bad move this morning: I didn't eat all of my 1/2 C. of fruit with breakfast. It was rather bland and tasteless and the open-face whole wheat english muffin sandwiches with turkey bacon and scrambled eggs seemed filling enough. So, I passed on the fruit. BAD IDEA because half-way through my morning hike my blood sugar crashed. I saw silver sparkles and had the shakes. This was happening at the top of a very, very high cliff.  I was worried. Fortunately, I had brought an extra pack of EmergenC. Taking a break to drink that, and have 12 almonds, saved me. I did not want to be the only ever helicopter rescue. How embarrassing would that have been--just because I didn't eat my fruit like THEY told me on the first day!

Besides, almost passing out from lack of energy, today's hike was quite an adventure for several other reasons. First of all, we hiked Gila Trail in Red Desert. Somewhere along the way, we found ourselves on top of a series of boulders that had about a 12-14 inch wide walking space with a VERY HARD and VERY LONG fall into a deep canyon to the left and the right. My only options were to hold in my core muscles and focus on getting back to Miles and Harrison...Sorry Rusty, didn't think about you until later! But, you're still my favorite husband. 
(I wish that I had pictures for you, but my camera was dead. No worries! I have it all charged for tomorrow's hike.) Secondly, all of this was happening with a very full bladder. You know how I said yesterday that I was going to kick it up a notch and drink twice as much water? Well, that left me needing to go the the bathroom 30 minutes into the hike, although I had just gone less than 30 minutes beforehand.  There was no trees in sight, just low growing shrubs--yucca and cactus. It was then that I realized that I have NEVER tinkled outside. I am not sure that I have that skill set. I could see myself going down in a low squat,  but never getting up again. And how do you not tinkle on your britches? These are all the things that ran through my mind. Well, up to and then after the boulders. There's something about a life and death situation that puts your bladder on hold. 
Clearly, I made it back in one piece. What a day, huh?

From my morning fruit fiasco I realized that if I am going to have the energy that I have here when I return to the real world, then I must have complex carbs, a protein and a fat at each meal--with 40-50% of it being complex carbs. Also I  found that Propel water helped me get my mojo back for the rest of the day's workouts following my morning sugar crash. Just having lunch didn't help. When that happens back home, I usually grab chocolate. Not any more!!! 

The newbies look scared out of their wits. I imagined that I looked the same last Monday. So, I just smile and answer questions when I can. I hope none of them disappear!  I can understand the desire to quit, but it seems ashame to pay all this money and then come all the way to Utah just to quit the first week.  

It's time for my facial...Until tomorrow! 

2 comments:

  1. A facial sounds much better than turkey bacon and scrambled eggs on an english muffin! The hike scenery sounds spectacular but a lot of work! I took two naps today but did go to the hemotologist and my hemoglobin was 11.1! Whoo hooo no iron infusions needed or blood transfusions- I go back in May unless I start to feel tired. All good news Missing you! Keep up the good work! me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm glad you didn't pass out and fall! Glad you didn't pee yourself either! You should add 'peeing outdoors' to your bucket list, just so you can try it once. lol

    Have a great facial!! Love you. :)

    ReplyDelete